Thursday, June 16, 2011

AHA!

I've had some AHA moments recently and there are A LOT of them.  I have actually forgotten most of them.  Mostly realizations that in order to deal better with Garrett's difficult behaviors I need a change in perspective and mood.  I need to run more in the morning (for happiness), I need to realize that my mood is intricately linked to my cycle, I need to realize that Garrett is just 2 and change some of my expectations, I need to ask for more help and accept it when its offered, I need to forgive myself, but most of all I need to be more POSITIVE.  Here I have an adorable little guy who is SUPER smart and says the cutest things and all I can blog about is the problems we're having?
I did an exercise in a MOMS group I was in a while back.  I came up with it on my own while examining life and parenting.  Here's how it works:  Make a list on the fridge of positive or joyful parenting moments.  Resolve to write at least 1 each day.  For me I had to be very specific that it was a parenting moment and not just any other joyful moment because that is what is so difficult in my life right now.  I normally see too many negatives in my parenting but when I started writing this list after the first day I was constantly thinking about what I would write on the list at the end of the day.  I saw joyful parenting moments everywhere.  And when there was no joyful parenting moment I would write down something else that made me happy, because a happy Paige = a happy mom = a happy Garrett.
So from now on I will start each blog entry with a joyful parenting moment.
Joyful parenting moment #1:
Matt came home last night and had planned to go fishing with Garrett and his brother George.  He didn't want to go without another adult because it was Garrett's first time and they would be going to the dock where Garrett would need close supervision.  George was busy watching the Stanley Cup Finals, so he asked me to go.  Even though I knew I would have fun if I went, I also knew that I needed some ME time (and I secretly wanted to watch the game too!) and I told him that I couldn't go.  We brainstormed and realized Uncle Tony might want to go and low and behold he was available!  So after many hugs and Garrett requesting for me to come "shishing" off they went and he actually seemed happy to go without me in the end.  I picked lettuce, ate a fresh salad and had a sparkling drink, relaxed and then did some chores all in silence.  Ahhh... But the best part came when Garrett and Matt came home and Garrett came rushing into the house with the biggest smile on his face and exclaimed, "I catch a shish!" and "Dad put shish in bucket".  (They caught a bunch of herring and Matt was putting them in a brine to preserve them for bait.)  Anyway, last night I had MUCH more patience for Garrett as he tried to escape me during a diaper change and tried to wiggle out of my arms at bed time.  It was amazing how a few hours of ME time changed my mood and perspective on Garrett's difficult behaviors.  So yeah for me for realizing that I needed that time and yeah for me for having more patience.  And yeah for a tired Garrett who is sleeping late!
Sorry, not all my joyful parenting moments will be that long.  I feel ready to start the day now.  Here I go, in search of another joyful parenting moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment