Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bedtime adventure

First off, Happy Father's Day!


Garrett has officially learned how to climb out of his crib.
We discovered this new found skill this morning (Father's Day) after he had thrown a fit (about what I can't remember) and Matt had put him in time out.  (Yes, we use his crib for time out, he never developed a bad association with it and sleeps fine in his crib and it seems the safest place for time out for the time being.)  We were standing in the kitchen (just outside his door) and all of a sudden heard the door knob turn and out came Garrett.  This is eirily similar to the way Matt demonstrated the same skill to his mom when he was close to Garrett's age!  Both of us just looked at each other and then at Garrett and then Matt asked Garrett to show him how he did it.  So he put Garrett back in his crib and Garrett proceeded to climb out, by swinging his legs over and sliding down feet first, but when he hit the ground he fell back and bumped his head.  We thought perhaps he might be deterred from climbing out now that he had experienced a minor injury from doing so.  And we went on with our Father's Day morning.
Nap time approaches and I start to wonder how things might pan out.  I am actually in the process now of trying to put him down.  Here's a play by play.

  • We finish watching the landlord mow the lawn.
  • I turn off the lights, sit in the chair, and try to sing and rock they way we normally do.  This works much better at night than it does at nap time but we try it regularly anyway.  Today he squirmed to the point that I couldn't hold him and so I put him in the crib and left the room closing the door behind me.
  • I wait a bit and before too long the door opens and out peeks Garrett.  It really was so cute!  He saw me watching and quickly closed the door but I know he can't get back in the crib so I go in tell him to stay in his crib.  I ask him if he wants his blanket, his lion, for me to sing.  He responds, with a "no" to each question and then says, "I want Mom leave now."  So I do.  
  • Within minutes I hear the door open again.
  • Repeat 3 and 4 at least two more times.
  • Finally I decide if the door opens again I will put one of the door knob proofing thing-a-ma-jigs on.
  • I sit down again and here the door knob rattle.  He can't open the door.  
  • I hear him say, "Mom?" a few times, I hear an electronic toy briefly.  Silence.  Maybe he's crawled into his twin bed?  I had pulled down the covers in case he wanted to fall asleep there.  Nope, I hear him again, this time I can tell he's putting his mouth right down near the crack under the door cause his voice is louder. "Mom, I'm ready to come out now.  I wake up."  
This is just too cute, I can't stand it, even though I know it means trouble.  I have no idea what to do know, but I'd better go do something or there will be no nap in our near future.  Wish me luck!

.........

Final outcome:

  • I go back into Garrett's room and explain to him that if he climbs out of his crib he can get into his big boy bed to sleep.  I don't think he got it.  He insists that he goes back in his crib and that I leave.  I think this is becoming a game, but I leave anyway, hoping that maybe he'll climb out and go to sleep in his bed.  
  • No such luck, he's out and calling for me again.  
  • I go back in put him in his crib and sit down on the chair.  He yells at me to leave, but I stay.
  • I watch him climb out of his crib.  Its pretty awesome actually.  What a monkey!
  • He tells me, "I want to sit right there." and points to my lap.  He curls up in my lap and my heart melts.  I can't believe I'm being so patient with him right now.  What has come over me?  It's really a sense of calm.  Probably cause I have nowhere to be at the moment other than right here with Garrett as he figures out what it means to be a big boy.  As he drifts off the sleep I shed a few tears as I look at his beautiful face.  I don't know why I haven't had more moments like this.  I hope I have lots more!
  • Finally I put him down in his big boy bed and tuck him in.  Its been one hour since I first tried to put him down for his nap!  I have a little anxiety cause its next to a window.  I will keep a close ear at his door and tonight if he sleeps in his big boy bed we'll move it to the other side of the room, which will mean removing the crib.  Its a big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment